News location:

Sunday, February 22, 2026 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

Building approvals up, but short of housing accord target

Master Builders ACT CEO Anna Neelagama… “It’s encouraging to see approvals rising, but it’s deeply concerning that we are already behind on National Housing Accord targets.”

Latest building figures show 379 new homes were approved across the ACT in August. This is 73.1 per cent higher than the previous month and a 379.7 per cent increase on August 2024.

Over the year to August, approvals totalled 3181 new homes. However, the ACT needed 4206 new homes annually to meet National Housing Accord commitments, said Master Builders ACT CEO Anna Neelagama.

Current figures revealed a shortfall of 1025 homes in just one year.

“It’s encouraging to see approvals rising, but it’s deeply concerning that we are already behind on National Housing Accord targets,” she said.

“Forecasts earlier this month showed the ACT falling well short of its National Housing Accord targets. While these latest figures show a substantial increase, the gap remains wide. At this rate, we will also fall well short of the ACT government’s plans for 30,000 homes by 2030.”

“Reforms like the government’s missing middle are urgently needed to help the ACT catch up.”

She said Master Builders ACT had consistently called for faster planning approvals, industrial relations reform, sensible tree and traffic policies and streamlining of higher-density developments.

 

Share this

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews