
Canberrans are still waiting for digital driver licences seven years after the ACT Government began discussions with NSW about introducing the technology, the Canberra Liberals say.
Shadow government services minister Peter Cain says documents obtained under freedom of information show Access Canberra first met Service NSW about digital driver licences in July 2019, with NSW later offering to share its expertise and digital assets at “minimum cost”.
The documents show meetings, presentations, ministerial briefs, business cases and options papers continued between 2019 and 2025, but the ACT still does not have a digital driver licence.
“NSW had already built the technology for a digital driver’s licence and was offering to share it at minimum cost,” Mr Cain said. “Instead of delivering, the ACT Labor Government spent seven years holding meetings and writing business cases.”
In October last year, Liberal MLA Ed Cocks successfully moved an Assembly motion calling on the government to assess interstate models, identify costs and delivery options and report back by May 30 this year with a preferred pathway and implementation timetable. The Liberals say there has been no substantive response or clear delivery date.
Mr Cain compared the delays with the introduction of MyWay+, saying Canberrans had been promised a new public transport ticketing system in 2016 but it did not begin operating until late 2024.
“People in Queanbeyan, just over the border, have had a digital driver’s licence for years,” he said. “Canberrans don’t need more plans about plans.”
News all day, every day at CityNewsQBN.com.au.
Leave a Reply