News location:

Tuesday, February 17, 2026 | Digital Edition | Crossword & Sudoku

Liberal leader eyes new front bench after poll boost

Liberals have been given a boost in the polls after Angus Taylor became leader. (Flavio Brancaleone/AAP PHOTOS)

By Zac de Silva and Grace Crivellaro in Canberra

Angus Taylor’s new-look Liberal front bench is set to be unveiled on the back of a small boost in voter support following the change in leader.

An announcement on the front bench could be made as early as Tuesday, with Mr Taylor expected to return key conservatives including Andrew Hastie, and Jacinta Nampijinpa Price to the shadow ministry after deposing Sussan Ley to win the Liberal party’s top job.

He has also indicated a harder line on issues including immigration, flagging tougher criteria to protect Australia’s “way of life”.

Asked about the forthcoming immigration policy, deputy Nationals leader Kevin Hogan appeared to let slip a crucial detail about the timing of the frontbench announcement.

“I haven’t seen the document that you’re talking about. It certainly hasn’t come through the new shadow cabinet that’s going to be announced tomorrow,” he told Sky News on Monday.

Mr Taylor’s office said the announcement would take place in coming days.

The first poll released since Ms Ley was ousted put support for the coalition up three percentage points to 23 per cent, a tie with Pauline Hanson’s One Nation.

The Resolve survey, published in the Nine papers, was conducted in the final days of Ms Ley’s leadership and the first days of Mr Taylor’s.

The opposition leader flagged changes to reduce the number of migrants entering Australia, and also restrictions on the kinds of people who would be allowed in under a coalition government.

“Immigration numbers are too high. Standards are too low,” he told Sydney radio station 2GB.

“We’re letting people into this country who want to bring the hate and violence from another part of the world to here.”

The coalition’s immigration policy could include travel restrictions targeting certain countries or areas, along with a major cut to Australia’s overall migrant intake.

Senator Nampijinpa Price and Mr Hastie – both conservative Liberals and outspoken critics of Australia’s current migration levels – are among those expected to make a return to the front bench after resigning or being sidelined from senior positions by Ms Ley.

The NT senator used a podcast appearance to lobby for a greater role in Mr Taylor’s team, claiming she had previously been thrown under the bus by her colleagues.

“I’m back baby, I’m back” she told the Karl Stefanovic Show podcast.

“I was having a breather, but I’m back. The fire’s back.”

But the firebrand senator refused to apologise for claiming Labor was bringing in Indian migrants because they’d vote for the party – controversial remarks that partly led to Ms Ley dumping her from the front bench.

Mr Taylor’s other key focus has been economic management, with the opposition leader writing to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese calling for a joint audit of government spending run by Labor and the coalition.

“Record levels of government expenditure are contributing to higher inflation, upward pressure on interest rates and a growing public debt burden that will ultimately fall on future generations of Australians,” Mr Taylor wrote.

But Treasurer Jim Chalmers blasted the demand for an inquiry as a predictable stunt.

“Angus Taylor promised change or die and instead he’s delivered a strongly worded letter and this just shows how bereft the Liberal Party is of economic credibility,” he told reporters in his Queensland electorate of Logan on Monday.

Australian Associated Press

Australian Associated Press

Share this

Leave a Reply

Related Posts

Follow us on Instagram @canberracitynews